Skip to main content

Guide to Exempt Development Types

Do I need approval?

Minor renovations or small building projects at home such as the erection of a shed, retaining wall  or solar panels don't normally need approval to build, unless the house is in a special area such as a historic conservation area  or the size or location of the project is not what would normally be expected.

Approval is not generally required because these development types are considered to have little impact on the surrounding environment, community and neighbouring properties.

This guide outlines exempt development types which you may or may not need approval to build in South Australia and the areas in which they apply.

Page last modified Friday, 17 May 2019