Policy position on heritage & character
2 May 2019
The State Planning Commission has outlined the ways in which the new planning system can protect heritage and character in our community and improve the design quality of our built environment
The State Planning Commission is committed to addressing community concerns around the preservation of heritage and character in our neighbourhoods and the design quality of our built environment.
Prior to the release of Phase Two and Phase Three of the Planning and Design Code (the Code), a number of documents were published in May 2019 that outlined the Commission’s policy position on these key matters.
These documents describe how the new Code will protect our heritage and character places and how the planning system as a whole can elevate the role of design to achieve safe, functional, accessible, connected and sustainable neighbourhoods and towns. The documents are available below.
Since their release the Commission has been listening to community, council and industry feedback and identified a number of key improvements. These are outlined in the Commission’s People and Neighbourhoods Policy Discussion Paper (PDF, 11910 KB) (Heritage and Character section) released in September 2019 and included in the draft Planning and Design Code released for public consultation on 1 October 2019. In addition, a draft Practice Guideline for Local Heritage and Character Overlays (PDF, 421 KB) has also been prepared to help interpret what is proposed in the draft Planning and Design Code.
All South Australians can have their say on the draft Planning and Design Code during the statutory consultation period for Rural areas until 29 November 2019 and for Urban areas until 28 February 2020.
- State Planning Commission overview of neighbourhood growth and change (PDF, 2970 KB)
- Practitioner overview of heritage and character in the new planning system (PDF, 1150 KB)
- Practitioner snapshot of heritage and character in the new planning system (PDF, 1993 KB)
- Community guide to heritage and character in the new planning system (PDF, 812 KB)
- Community guide to design in the new planning system (PDF, 8649 KB)
- A guide to demolition control for heritage in the new planning system (PDF, 105 KB)
- Heritage in Transition - Practitioner Guide (PDF, 1018 KB)
- Learn more about how neighbourhood growth and change will be addressed in the Planning and Design Code