Phase Two (Rural Areas) Planning and Design Code – Engagement Report
17 June 2020
Another important milestone in the delivery of South Australia’s new planning system has been achieved with the release of the Phase Two Planning and Design Code Engagement Report by the State Planning Commission.
The Commission has finalised the Engagement Report under Section 73 of the Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act (2016) and is releasing it to support public familiarisation of the Phase Two Code prior to its implementation across South Australia’s rural areas.
The Engagement Report reflects the Commission’s key amendments and recommendations to the Minister of Planning in response to feedback received from more than 230 written submission and 75 engagement events conducted during the 8-week formal public consultation in late 2019.
The Report recommends the following changes to the Phase Two Code as a result of public consultation including:
- general changes to better recognise rural context and identity
- the creation of new zones that are more attuned to the requirements of our Regions including ones that recognise on-site waste water management systems, allow larger outbuildings and guide housing near golf courses
- the creation of a new subzone to guide design of development fronting marinas, canals and other waterways
- the creation of a new Heritage Adjacency Overlay to address the potential impact of development on land adjacent to heritage listed places
- the inclusion of the Character Area Overlay and Statement for Mundulla, as well as amendments to the Historic Area Statement for Robe
- ensuring all national parks and wilderness reserves are covered by the Conservation Zone
- general changes to ensure that overlays do not undermine availability of the accepted and deemed-to-satisfy assessment pathways to low risk developments like dwellings, sheds and carports in townships to facilitate faster approvals.
The Phase Two (Rural Areas) Code is on track to be rolled out on 31 July 2020 following the Minister’s approval.
- Read the Phase Two (Rural Areas) Planning and Design Code – Engagement Report Summary (PDF, 1409 KB)
- Read the Phase Two (Rural Areas) Planning and Design Code – Engagement Report (PDF, 12349 KB)
- Read the State Planning Commission's media release (PDF, 600 KB)
- Read the Phase Two (Rural Areas) Planning and Design Code – What We Have Heard Report (PDF, 6532 KB)
- Learn more about the Planning and Design Code