Local Design Review Scheme on consultation
26 June 2020
The Planning, Development and Infrastructure Act 2016 enables South Australia’s new planning system to place greater emphasis on the design quality of our built environments. One of the ways it will do this is by creating more opportunities to participate in Design Review under a new Local Design Review Scheme.
Design Review is an independent evaluation process where a panel of built environment experts review the design quality of a development proposal before it is lodged for assessment.
The draft Scheme sets out a consistent approach for the delivery of Local Design Review across the State and will support those councils who choose to offer the service within their communities, as well as independent Design Review providers.
The draft Local Design Review Scheme seeks to:
- support high-quality design
- improve access to independent and expert design advice early in the planning and design process
- support consistent and informed planning decisions
- facilitate collaboration between allied professionals that can positively contribute to professional development.
The Office for Design and Architecture South Australia (ODASA) has prepared the draft Scheme on behalf of the Minister for Planning in collaboration with the State Planning Commission, local government staff from across the State and representatives from peak industry bodies who might provide Local Design Review.
Feedback on the draft Scheme is now being sought from councils, industry professionals and any other interested parties. Please ensure you provide your feedback on the draft Scheme by Friday 21 August 2020 through any of the following channels:
- Email: DPTI.ODASAconsultation@sa.gov.au
- Online: yoursay.sa.gov.au/local-design-review-scheme
- Post: ODASA Consultation, 28 Leigh Street, Adelaide SA 5000
If you would like to speak with someone about Local Design Review, please contact ODASA on 8402 1884 during business hours (9.00 am to 5.00 pm, weekdays).
A consultation guide has also been prepared to provide background information and should be read in conjunction with the draft Scheme.