At a National level, steps are being taken to address issues relating to non-complying products, including:
1. The appointment of Professor Peter Shergold, AC and Ms Bronwyn Weir, a Partner at Maddocks law firm to prepare a report for the Building Ministers Forum regarding broader compliance and enforcement issues within the construction sector. The final Terms of Reference for the report were issued on 24 August 2017.
2. A mid-cycle (March 2018) amendment to Volume One of the National Construction Code. The ABCB are currently seeking feedback on the proposed amendment which seeks to:
- clarifiy the existing evidence of suitability provisions
- adopt the revised sprinkler standard AS 2118.1 Automatic fire sprinkler systems
- introduce AS 5113 Fire propagation testing and classification of external walls of buildings as a verification method
The amendment will be supplemented by the publication of a new handbook and a revised National Advisory Note for External Wall Claddings and Assemblies.
Feedback on the amendment can be provided to the ABCB by completing an online response form on the ABCB website. Comments close 10 September 2017.